When a coworker told me about FEED Supper, I knew I had to participate. While I had lofty goals of hosting a dinner party, I didn’t have much time so I ended up hosting a dinner for two… i.e. a typically night, but amped up with a purpose. It was nice to not only put a little more effort into a weeknight meal for just the two of us, but the best part was really the conversations we had focused around hunger and how we can help. The FEED Supper Toolkit, seen below, comes packed with a lot of powerful information.
- In the U.S., 49 Million Americans (1 in 6 people) are food insecure, which means they don’t know where their next meals will come from.
- There are more people who are food insecure in the world than the combined populations of the U.S., Canada, + the European Union.
- If women farmers has the same access to resources as men, the number of hungry people in the world could be reduced by up to 150 Million (source WFP)
We all know (and love) FEED products, specifically the original burlap totes, but did you know that FEED Projects has been operating for 7 years now, offering over 70 products and has provided over 85 million meals?! Pretty cool, right?!
Thursday, October 16th is World Food Day, bringing awareness to a fixable problem – hunger!
FEED has teamed up with the West Elm to create the Supper Collection, where proceeds of products sold provide meals for children. In addition, FEED has started a FEED Supper Movement, September 16th – October 16th, inviting everyone to join them around the table for supper to “embrace the right for all people everywhere to be able to eat”.
Sunday night, I joined the movement!
While our supper table was small, we still made an impact, raising 1,000 meals in total.
I, of course, made pumpkin pasta for the occasion.
As for where West Elm comes in, my apron and tea towel are both from the FEED Supper Collection and collectively raise 20 meals, here in America.
My serving utensils were handmade in Keyna, which my brother brought back for me after his trip to Africa last year.
How the supper works…
Step 1: Become a Host
Step 2: Invite Guest + Fundraise (here is where you can help)
Step 3: Add some FEED Flare
Step 4: Put your own spin on it
Step 5: Supper Time!
Even though FEED Supper ends in two days, you can still help!
1. D O N A T E
2. Shop The Supper Collection from West Elm
3. Spread the word! #FEEDSupper