This past weekend, I made empanadas for the first time. Warning: This is a tasty/non-healthy recipe, continue reading at your own risk. With my boyfriend being Puerto Rican, I have been learning how to cook a few Puerto Rico favorites and have even added my own twist, to a few classics… more on that later this week! Sunday, my love and I spent the afternoon in the kitchen making a few tasty appetizers, to bring over to his friends Super Bowl party that night. When bringing food to a party, the signs of a successful dish are that it doesn’t last long… and well, let’s just say, these babies were a success!
Super easy to make… not at all healthy but oh, so tasty! Hey, every now and then you have to splurge… just follow it up with a green juice the next morning!
Keep reading for the Guava Mozzarella Empanadas recipe…
- 1 package 6″ plantilla rounds (turnover dough)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz guava paste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Small bowl of water and towel to moist dough
- Slice cheese and guava paste into small rectangles (shown below)
- Place on the top half of dough, alternating between cheese and guava paste
- Dip you towel into bowl of water and tap the edges of the dough before closing, helping to ensure empanadas are properly sealed
- Fold dough in half and press firmly along the edges with fingers to seal; use the edge of a fork to crimp the edges; set aside and repeat
- Once all empanadas are formed, heat 2″ of vegetable oil, in a frying pan
- Add 3-4 empanadas at a time and fry for 1-2 min on each side, until golden brown; remove from oil and let cool on top of a plate of paper towels (this helps soak up the access oil)
- Serve and enjoy!
Have you ever made empanadas? What is your favorite ingredients to include?
Check back Thursday to see what else we brought to the party!